Make Your WP7 Handset a USB Drive; Here’s How!
Windows Phone 7 handsets have arrived just days ago on the market and already we learn how to tweak the experience they provide. First we’ve heard about USB tethering and now we discover a cool way of turning a WP7 unit into a USB drive. The info comes from MobilTechWorld and this is a pretty straightforward hack to do.
There’s also a limitation to this tweaking: you can only use the WP7 phone as a USB drive on the computer you modify and sync the handset with. Here’s what to do, if you want to perform the hack:
1. Enter the registry editor on your PC (type regedit in the Start menu)
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB and search for ZuneDriver, then modify 3 entries like this:
- Change ShowInShell from 0 to 1
- Change PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell from 1 to 0
- Change EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1
3. Plug in the phone and you should see it in Explorer. Remember to close the Zune desktop app to modify files.